USMS Spring Championships: Jenny Thompson, Laura Val, Maurine Kornfeld Claim Double Wins on Final Day
Jenny Thompson. Photo Courtesy: Peter H. Bick
30 April 2023, 05:03pm
The United States Masters Swimming (USMS) Spring Championships concluded on Sunday from Irvine, California.
It was a meet full of victories, records, and most importantly, a record-setting list of competitors – more than 2,500.
The final session included the 400 IM, 50 free, 200 butterfly, mixed 200 medley relay, 100 backstroke, 200 free and 50 breast – all in short-course yards.
Maurine Kornfeld broke the 100-104 record in the 50 free, getting to the wall in 1:27.45. Kornfeld also went a 3:30.70 in the 100 backstroke to win.
Twelve-time Olympic medalist Jenny Thompson won the 50-54 age group in the 50 free, going a 23.75 to break the age group record. Thompson also won the 100 backstroke in her age group at 58.87 in another record.
Meanwhile, former NCAA record holder Ally Howe won the 25-29 age group in the 100 backstroke in a 52.69 – the same event she set the NCAA record in at Stanford. It was an age group record and her 25.25 split in the backstroke broke the 50 backstroke record.
Laura Val, who has claimed more than 100 masters world records, won the 70-74 age group in the 100 backstroke (1:08.05). She also won the 200 free (2:12.26) in an age group record.
Some familiar faces earned wins, starting with the first event of the day. Former U.S. national teamer Becca Mann claimed victory in the 25-29 400 IM (4:30.19). She then turned in a second-place finish in the 200 fly.
Former Cal star Felicia Lee won the 30-34 age group in the 100 backstroke (55.59).
Gabrielle Rose own the 45-49 age group in the 50 breaststroke (28.54), continuing her strong performance this week.
In the men’s meet, Vladimir Morozov won the 30-34 age group in the 50 freestyle (19.53).
In the 40-44 age group Mario Marshall (21.18) edged teammate Anthony Ervin (21.40) in the 50 free.
Rick Colella added another USMS win and record to his collection to close his stellar meet. He was first to the wall in the 200 butterfly for the 70-74 age group (2:17.30).
Former Stanford star Grant Shoults won the 25-29 age group in the 200 free (1:36.96).
John Stafford, father of NFL quarterback Matthew Stafford, won his second event of the meet with a 2:16.03 swim in the 200 free in the 75-79 age group.
Former Swimming World staffer Jeff Commings won the 45-49 age group in the 100 backstroke (54.00).
USMS Records Set on Sunday, April 30
- Maurine Kornfeld, Rose Bowl Masters: Women’s 100-104 50 freestyle (1:27.45)
- Jenny Thompson, Palmetto Masters: Women’s 50-54 50 freestyle (23.75)
- Zachary Fong, New York Athletic Club: Men’s 25-29 200 butterfly (1:44.67)
- Rick Colella, Puget Sound Masters: Men’s 70-74 200 butterfly (2:17.30)
- Arizona Masters Swim Club: Mixed 75+ 200 medley relay (2:43.23)
- Ally Howe, New York Athletic Club: Women’s 25-29 50 backstroke (25.25)
- Peter Moore, Novaquatics Masters: Men’s 50-54 50 backstroke (24.43)
- Ally Howe, New York Athletic Club: Women’s 25-29 100 backstroke (52.69)
- Jenny Thompson, Palmetto Masters: Women’s 50-54 100 backstroke (58.87)
- Jenna Campbell, Colorado Masters Swimming: Women’s 25-29 200 freestyle (1:47.88)
- Laura Val, Tamalpais Aquatic Masters: Women’s 70-74 200 freestyle (2:12.26)
- Gabrielle Rose, Santa Barbara Masters: Women’s 45-49 50 breaststroke (28.54)
Note: All records are subject to change pending verification.