ISHOF SaveSwimmer™ FAQ
What it is the ISHOF SafeSwimmer™ Float and what does it do for you?
As the name indicates, the ISHOF SafeSwimmer™ Float keeps you or your children safe during most swimming activities. It basically works as an inflatable float which is attached on a band to your waist and is carried in the current behind you. Now you might be thinking, well, that is not that revolutionary. You are right, this simply is not, however, the beauty comes in the fact that the device does not cause you to swim slower due to its resistance behind your body. When you swim, your body creates sort of a turbulent wave channel behind you with water moving in the direction of your swim. In more scientific fluid dynamics terms, this turbulent wave creates vortices which in turn produce a low pressure area behind the swimmer which causes the water to move along in the direction of the swimmer’s swim.
The ISHOF SafeSwimmerTM Float takes advantage of this water flow and is basically moved in the direction of the swim on top of the wave with very little resistance. It is very similar to the idea of when cyclists or swimmers are drafting behind each other in their open road/water races. The second cyclist/swimmer always works a lot less than the first who has to plow through the air/water to create the forward moving channel.
Apart from its main function as a safety device, it also has an in-build dry bag-like storage compartment. In this dry compartment you can store and take with your for a swim items that you’d normal have to leave behind in the car or on the beach. So, whether you bring with you your clothes, towel, phone, car keys, sunglasses or sun protection lotion, they stay nice and dry and you mind can be focused on swimming instead of worrying whether someone is going through your stuff on the beach. If you are out for a longer swim, perhaps you might want to bring some nutrition and hydration products along, so you can replenish your energy levels and have a good workout. If you are into swim trekking or open water orienteering, perhaps a map sealed in a zip lock back is in order, so you don’t get lost.
Another great feature is the bright orange color of the float. Being seen is a must in open water swimming, so any boats will go around the are you swim. Open water swimmers usually wear a colorful cap to accomplish being seen, however, those caps are quite small and with the head being in the water and waves going around your body, this is not ideal. The ISHOF SafeSwimmerTM Float with its 50cm long and about 20cm tall (when inflated) body makes a perfect statement in the deep blue since the orange color is hard to miss.
The ISHOF SafeSwimmerTM Float does not, however, have to be used only for swimming. Since it floats in a wake your body creates behind you, it is bound to float behind your kayak or a canoe, so if you are running out of space in the boat compartments or you just don’t have any, why not take the ISHOF SafeSwimmer™ Float along, fill it with the items you need to keep dry and let it float behind your boat while you paddle to explore near by coves.
What are the specifications of the ISHOF SafeSwimmer™ Float?
The product is made out of very durable rubber material which supposedly even withstands an adult person standing on it while inflated. The inflation with your mouth is done via a small external tube which has a wonderful self-seal opening which will hold air in very well. It is much better than the valveless opening like we see on most common air filled floats. There is also a small handle on the float which can be handy when you are walking into the water or it is even more useful in the situation when you are using the float to rest during your swim. When you wrap your hands around the float, it could happen that you will slip if there is some slime built up on the float from the swim, however, if you grab the handle, you will get a much more firmer grip.
The device comes with an adjustable waist band, so one size fits all solution is present. The waist bend has two nice big buckles, so putting it on is easy even for people with bigger hands. There is also a sliding clip on the belt which is attached to a short nonadjustable connector which in turn attaches the belt to the float’s handle. If you position the belt buckle to the side (instead to the front as normal), you will notice that you have a smooth path for the belt clip to move from your back to the front, so if you need to switch from freestyle to backstroke and vice versa, nothing is hindering your movement.
How to use the ISHOF SafeSwimmer™ Float?
To assemble and put into use the product is as simple as 1,2,3. It takes about 1 minute of your time, including filling the dry bag with your desired items. Here are the simple steps:
1) Store all the items you’d like to keep dry in the storage compartment 2) Roll the top of the bag over a few times to create a water tight seal and buckle the main bag buckle. One thing to note here, make sure to start the roll of the seal towards the inflator tube, otherwise, the bag will have a bit of a more resistance since it won’t be as smooth on the side which is in the water. 3) Inflate the device with your mouth and close the inflator tube 4) Adjust your waist belt and the and put it around your waist 5) Have an enjoyable and most importantly a safe swim
Storing the ISHOF SafeSwimmerTM Float is very easy as well. If you swam in salty water, I’d suggest rinsing the float first, so you prolong the life of the material. Take the stuff out of the dry storage compartment, deflate the float by inverting the inflator tube cap into the tube and when fully deflated, fold it over a few times. Now you have a very small, pocket size item which you can store in your car’s trunk or a swim bag.
How many ways can you use the ISHOF SafeSwimmer™ Float?
1) Open water swimming - if you are an avid ocean, sea, lake, pond or river swimmer, I’d strongly encourage you to check out this safety device as you never know what currents, cramps or other irregularities could happen in your swim. As they say, better be safe than sorry.
2) Swim lessons - if you are a novice or a beginner swimmer who is either afraid of water or not as confident, this device could be the answer to your uneasiness. Simply attach it to your waist and get into the pool to do your swim lesson exercises totally undisturbed by the floating device. When you feel scared or tired, just grab onto the float and you are safe.
3) Children - safety around the pool should belong to a basic education for any child during their younger years. Many swimming lesson programs do very well with teaching children about safety, however, nothing is 100%. So, if you are worried to let your kids swim on their own or if you would like to improve your child’s swimming skills, the ISHOF SafeSwimmerTM Float could be a good answer to this. Instead of your child using the arm floaties or a kickboard where they have a horrible positioning of their body for swimming, they could use the ISHOF SafeSwimmerTM Float and thus have a backup solution if they need to take a rest.
4) Swim trekking, island hopping, open-water orienteering - even if you are an advanced swimmer who is pushing the possibilities of the sport of swimming, taking with your the ISHOF SafeSwimmerTM Float is not a bad idea. Even if it is just for the sake of having some dry items with you, the safety feature could be just a plus as you never know what could happen.